Monday 17 September 2018

Saturday/Sunday - Wrap Up

I got a text from Kent at 5:45am Saturday saying that he and Rene were leaving by 6:00.  Baine and Brad were leaving at about the same time.

I was just getting up, so a bit behind.  By the time I showered, cleaned up and hauled the last of my stuff to the van, it was 6:45.  I noticed that it was 9c when I pulled out.  A bit cool, but I am sure it will still warm up to the mid 20's in Hood River by the end of the day.

Ross was planning to do some final clean up (thanks Ross) and then leave midday.  He said he had to be in Calgary on Sunday so was not in a rush. 

Mike drove to Roosevelt last night and was going to leave from there in the morning.

I caught up to Kent and Rene in Cranbrook (probably because they had to go through all the water inspection stations), but I didn't see them.  I just got a text message that they were at the Taco Bell, while I was at the Tim's.

Apparently, Kent and Rene also ran into Blaine and Brad at the A&W in Red Deer.

It is funny how we can all travel the same road within a few minutes of each other and never see each other.

Our roads were pretty good, other than some smoke/fog/rain on 22x through to Nanton, and then from Lacombe to Camrose which had thick fog and poor visibility at times.  The temperature hovered around 2c, so while it was snowing at times, none of the snow was sticking to the ground and the roads were not slippery.

I got home around 11:00pm.  I imagine the others did the same.

My bikes were a mess, primarily because there is a two mile stretch of gravel between HWY 56 and our beach road, so there I was at 11:30pm, in shorts and sandals in 2c weather and rain/snow, pulling out our garden hose and washing off our bikes before I could put them in the garage.

I spent Sunday unpacking.  Most of the snow around our house has melted, and my grass is now greener than it has been all summer.  There were still snowman remains on several lawns in Camrose when we drove through on our way to Wetaskiwin to visit a friend Sunday morning, and as soon as we crossed the Gwynn Valley near Wetaskiwin there was snow on the ground everywhere. 

I had another "cool" experience on Sunday taking out our boat to warm it up, then loading it onto the trailer, drain the oil and winterize it.  The water was calm, but my fingers were freezing on the steering wheel while I was driving it on the lake, and I had no inclination at all to go for a ski or surf!  I will leave the dock and hoist until I have some help.

Kent said there was fresh snow on his boards when he unloaded his trailer Sunday.

Fresh Snow on Ken's boards Sunday Morning!
It was a great trip this year.  Some of the lightest wind ever, but with the foils, that doesn't seem to matter.  We sailed every day and had a great time!

I think summer is over in Alberta - I guess we have to start getting ready for winter.  I hope we get a few nice days before the snow comes for good.....

Ted



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday/Sunday - Wrap Up

I got a text from Kent at 5:45am Saturday saying that he and Rene were leaving by 6:00.  Baine and Brad were leaving at about the same time....