Friday 14 September 2018

Friday - Exodous - Event Site and Exocet Board!

I knew something was up when I arrived at Dog River Coffee at 8:00 and I was the only one of our group there, and no one else arrived until almost 9:00.

I heard that Big Fin Jim, Cam, Eddy, and Harold had already left.

Those of us remaining, enjoyed a last breakfast at Bette's,

Apparently, we are getting noticed down here.  One local sailor came up to me at Roosevelt to talk about our foils.  He sails at Roosevelt all the time and was very surprised to see anyone sailing - never mind the whole crew!  Then this morning on the North West Wind Talk site there was the following post.

Kent is the sailor they are talking about!  

After breakfast, I went to Windance.  The board that I ordered in June, and which the shop sold the day before I arrived in September, finally arrived at the shop.  It is an Exocet AST 91.  Most of the gang showed up to watch me pick it up and set up the foot straps and fin holes. 
Windance owner Dave Nunn helping ted set up his new Exocet 91
I stopped at NSI to buy a nose protector for the board, and then at Sailworks, where Kent, Rene, Jim Mudry, and Bruce Peterson helped me install it.

From Sailworks, I stopped at Safeway and then headed to the event site.  Most of the guy's were already there rigging their foil gear.

Mike, was already up at the Hatchery.  He said he sailed on his 5.2 and could have been on his 4.8. Mike said it was some of the steadiest winds he has ever sailed at the Hatchery.

Ross had gone to Vancouver to do some glass work in the morning but then went kiting at the bridge in the afternoon.  He started on his 11m kite, but then had to switch to his 9m kite.  He said he had a great day.

Blaine, Brad, Rene, Kent and I all had a great day foiling.  The wind started light, then built to what I think was 5.6 windsurfing for me, and then later became a bit gusty.  I started out on my 7.0 and big front wing and then switched to my 6.0 and small front wing.  I think everyone had two or more sails rigged.  We all had a great day!

It is going to take me a while to get used to my new board.  It is a lot shorter, and a bit wider than my old board.  It is much easier to climb onto and uphaul, and I seem to be able to point higher into wind with it.  For the first day on it, it was great.  Too bad it took so long to get to me - really missed a full season with it.  Oh well, I may get a few more sessions yet before the water gets hard at home...
De-briefing after the Session!
Mike, Kent, Blaine, and Brad
Bruce, Dale, and Jim Mudry all joined us.  Jim spent a lot of time foiling with each of us, giving us pointers.  Kent chased Bruce and Jim around the river, playing a game of "Follow Me".  The idea is to get behind a person and stay there for a set time.  The person in the lead turns, jibes, and wave rides, trying to throw off the follower.  Kent said it is like an aircraft dogfight.  Lots of fun and develops turning and foiling skills  It sounds like fun.  I will have to get a lot better before I am able to play!

We finished sailing around 6:00pm and took our time de-rigging - having a few beers with Dale, Jim, and Bruce.

We went to Solstice for supper and had a great meal.  There were photos taken with talk of how we had to get the blog out early because of all the great sailing today, but no one sent me their photos.  I will post them in a future blog if I get them.  You really don't need a photo when you have good pizza, good friends, and great conversation!

We all said our good bye's and then headed for our respective condo's.  We are all planning on leaving early tomorrow morning, and we have lots of packing to do.

What a great trip!  Sorry to see the end of it, but I have to admit that l looking forward to getting home, even if there is snow on the ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday/Sunday - Wrap Up

I got a text from Kent at 5:45am Saturday saying that he and Rene were leaving by 6:00.  Baine and Brad were leaving at about the same time....